The mission of Downtown Ventura Organization (DVO) is to foster a vibrant commercial and cultural district with strategic capital improvements, enhanced maintenance and security, effective marketing and promotions, historic preservation education, and effective administration. This includes:
- A clean, safe, well-lit, and inviting appearance, both day and night;
- Appealing storefronts occupied with an eclectic variety of inviting and interesting retail and service businesses;
- Activities that will attract and benefit area residents, businesses and visitors;
- Historic architecture preservation and adaptive reuse that offers visual unity and quality experiences;
- A healthy mix of retail, restaurant, entertainment and service businesses and be known as having a reputation for welcoming and supporting new businesses, and;
- Creative and lively places where people will shop, enjoy, remember and return.
Who We Are
DVO started as a small group of concerned community members holding weekly meetings with the hopes of developing a long lasting downtown organization—an organization that will bring merchants, property owners, residents, developers and city staff together to do what’s best for downtown Ventura.
This small group developed an in-depth survey, which was sent to over 500 downtown business owners. Once the survey was collected, a town-hall meeting was held to discuss the survey results and the future of downtown Ventura. The two major issues were identified: cleanliness and safety. We identified a renewed interest to make those improvements downtown. A representative group was formed and they elected a board of directors to address the issues identified and move this downtown forward.
The Main Street Approach™ is a downtown management model developed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. It has been implemented in over one thousand historic downtowns across the country. The DVO is using this approach and maintains three of the four recommended committees:
- Economic Restructuring
In addition the DVO hosts the following committee meetings/events:
- Restaurant Committee
- Finance Committee
Development of a sustainable community-based management organization to guide downtown’s revitalization has been a goal of Ventura’s Redevelopment Agency (RDA), the new Downtown Specific Plan, and a focused General Plan economic development strategy established by the City.
In a major step towards realizing this goal the RDA approved funding the DVO in the amount of: $150,000 in the first year (2006/07), $250,000 in year two, and $100,000 in year three (ending June 2009).
NOTE: The funding source identified is NOT from the city’s general fund. Under California Redevelopment Law these funds are restricted solely for RDA planning, revitalization, and implementation actions within the RDA area (Downtown).